Biodiversity Assets in the Goulburn Broken

Australia is the only 'developed' country of 12 'mega diverse' countries*.

Between 500 000 and 600 000 species of animals and plants currently inhabit the Australian landmass, but only around 25% have been formally named.  Most vertebrate animals and flowering plants have been described. The remaining unnamed 75% are mainly small insects, nematodes, fungi and micro-organisms.**

The Goulburn Broken Catchment has a significant component of Austalia's biodiversity, much of which is under threat The main pressures on Australia’s biodiversity – habitat fragmentation, altered fire regimes, invasive species (both non-native and native), harvesting of species, and climate change – are increasing, and the rate of species decline is not slowing down.**

Biogeographic regions or Bioregions are the basis for planning and managing biodiversity assets in Victoria.

This section lists some of the major biodiversity assets found in the Goulburn Broken Catchment. The following categories are one way to categorise biodiversity assets in the Goulburn Broken.

Native Vegetation

In the Goulburn Broken Catchment a vast majority of the native vegetation has been historically cleared for agricultural development and timber supply.

Native Fauna

There are 493 species of native vertebrate fauna in the Goulburn Broken Catchment which includes mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and amphibians(35 introduced species).

Soil Biodiversity

Very little is known about the important function that soil biodiversity plays in maintaining healthy ecosystems.

Bioregions

Biogeographic regions (or Bioregions) depict the patterns of ecological characteristics in the landscape and can be used as a framework to address landscape management and biodiversity issues. Bioregions are the basis from which the conservation status of Ecological Vegetation Classes (EVCs) and priorities for managing threatened species are determined.

The Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority boundary crosses eight bioregions listed as follows:

Map of GBCMA bioregions
Click for an enlargement

* from www.biodiversity.csiro.au, October 2002

** 3 CSIRO (2014) Biodiversity: science and solutions for Australia / edited by Steve Morton, Andy Sheppard and Mark Lonsdale.